Carbonara makes a wonderful mid-week dinner. Simple, satisfying and ready in 20 minutes – what more could you ask for?
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 50g/2oz pancetta cubes, or smoked streaky bacon, chopped finely
- 125g/4½oz chicken breast, cut into strips
- 200g/7oz dried spaghetti
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- 2 free-range egg yolks, beaten
- 75ml/2¾fl oz double cream
- 75g/2¾oz Parmesan, grated, plus extra to serve
- freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the pancetta and fry until crisp and golden-brown. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add the chicken to the same pan and fry for 4-5 minutes, or until completely cooked through.
Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the spaghetti according to packet instructions. Drain, reserving a little of the cooking water.
Put the beaten eggs in a large bowl. Add the spaghetti to the eggs and a little of the reserved cooking water and mix well. Add the cream, Parmesan, cooked chicken and cooked pancetta cubes and stir to combine.
To serve, divide the pasta and sauce between two bowls. Top with extra Parmesan and freshly ground black pepper.